About a year ago I heard the term “blog.” I thought it was silly. I do not like slang. I did not think about it again. (Mind you I knew about blogs before that, but did not know they were called “blogs.”)
Almost six months ago, my cousin started blogging. So I started reading it. I really liked reading her blog; she is an excellent writer. And she’s funny. And she spends every second more time than I have the patience for finding cool, current things to write about. She has great links and images and YouTube stuff. Really, she blows me away. She mentioned that her sister, Ducky, would help me get started blogging, too. I laughed. I laughed HARD. There was no way I was going to blog. I did not have time. I barely had time to read my cousin’s blog. I just. couldn’t. do. more.
Then I started reading a few other blogs. Most were linked from my cousin’s, but I found a few others by following those to other links. THEN MY COUSIN E-MAILED ME HOW TO USE GOOGLE READER! Amazing! I no longer had to hang out on her website to find the trails to the other sites I liked. It would just tell me when there was something new! It saved so much time! It was so exciting! I thought, “Maybe, I can avoid more work and household chores handle this.”
There has been a struggle in my mind as to why would I want to blog? What do I have to put out there that anyone has not already seen or would even care about seeing? I cannot write poetically like my cousin. I cannot be absolutely hilarious with illustrations like June Cleaver Nirvana has. I cannot have the most sage and intellectual viewpoints like Mrs. G doles out. I cannot make potty training and sports hilarious even to the Girliest Girl Mom like Laid Off Dad does. I do not have deadpan humor and heart-wrenching thoughts like come from Madge. I cannot BEGIN to write like (or have the “interesting” experiences) of Awalkabout. And I certainly cannot be witty and take such amazing pictures AND post something like 4 times a day like Authorblog is/does. And then there are the photography blogs. I am not even close to being in the league of a lot of those.
So why am I doing this???? The answer is still completely beyond my comprehension a little fuzzy. I know I like to take pictures, and I like for people to see them. I know I love to rubber stamp (mind you, get my ideas from other people’s designs, but still make incredible things), and I like to show people. And I like to write. Even though I will likely never write like the people on many of the blogs I read, I still like to write when certain things move me to do so. In fact, one of the reasons I went ahead and took the leap into blogging is because of Weekly Anamnesis. When I am short on blog fodder, that will be an easy way to come up with a topic. Ducky (thanks, Ducky!) let me use her blog to make an entry, and there are several more from Weekly Anamnesis I want to do, so now I can do it here!
This blog will have photos and memes and rubber stamping projects and stuff I just feel like talking about. (Aren’t you on the edge of your seat wondering what those things will be?) And maybe as I go, I (and it) will grow.
So what should the first entry be about, other than to give a little explanation as to why I am doing this? I had lots of ideas, but again, inspiration came from my cousin with a Flickr mosaic meme. Her’s was really cool. My husband made me asked me to do one for myself. So I did. (By the way, I do not even know what “meme” stands for. I know what it IS, but I do not know from where the word (acronym?) originated. If anyone is reading this and would choose to comment why it is called a “meme,” please do not hesitate to enlighten me!)
Here’s how this meme works:
Answer each of the questions below.
- Surf over to Flickr (set up an account if you don’t have one–it’s quick and easy) and type your answers (one at a time) into the search bar.
- From the choice of pictures shown only on the front page, click on the one that moves you.
- Once the page with your picture opens, copy the URL.
- Surf over to the Mosaic Maker, set up your mosaic, and paste your URLs.
- Click “Create!”
- What is your first name?
- What is your favorite food?
- What high school did you attend?
- What is your favorite color?
- Who is your celebrity crush?
- What is your favorite drink?
- Where would you go on your dream vacation?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- What do you love most in life?
- Choose one word to describe you?
- Your Flickr name?
Mine looks like this:
1. one with the sea, 2. Cherry Tomatoes and Shallots, 3. P1010131, 4. Morning Best Wishes, 5. Daniel Craig, BAFTA 2007, 6. A Glass of Water, 7. Bridge of Sighs, 8. homemade apple pie, 9. We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is a real friend., 10. Sunny Side Up, 11. (0395) Giza Plateau Egypt, 12. Take me! Take me!
And just so you know, the answers to questions 9, 10 and 11 are not at all clear by the pictures. But I like the pictures, so what do I care if there would be no way to tell the answers by looking at them?!
by Louise Cannon